Sunday afternoon in the kitchen

A crisp fall morning and a trip to the market inspired an afternoon in the kitchen. We started with a walk down to the Vietnamese shopping district at 5th and Washington, it is fascinatingly like our old Chicago neighborhood, right down to a Ba Le bakery – I wonder how directly they are connected. The supermarket there will be a regular stop in the future, from rice and seafood to sandalwood soap. The return trek home brings us through the Italian Market and the produce stands there, still full of fall vegetables. Hot peppers, tomatoes, potatoes…

My kitchen list for the day actually started much earlier in the week, with a new whole wheat sourdough starter. I had a great run this year before the move keeping a starter active and a loaf of bread a part of my regular schedule, but with the move and the heat of summer I let it go. It’s a pretty reliable 5 day process to go from flour and water (and a little cumin, following my trusted Joe Ortiz recipe, thanks to a book from my Aunt Jane years ago) through a handful of refreshments to a sour active starter, and by Saturday morning it was ready to turn into a dough (reserving a small container in the fridge to start next week’s loaf).

The apartment has been just a little cool for bread over the last few days though, so a typically 16 hour rise stretched to 21, with it going into a loaf pan at 6am this morning and slowly rising again in the warmed oven.

In the meantime, let’s make some granola. Still using my mom’s old bowl that we used for granola and breadmaking growing up (she sent it to me when I started making bread in college). Toast the oats in the cast-iron skillet. Toast the nuts (hazelnuts today). Toast the coconut. Toss it all together in the bowl with dried fruit (apricot today) and drizzle maple syrup (still working through last year’s Marquette Michigan syrup today) until it starts to stick and maybe clump a little bit.

Dough has finally doubled in the pan. Especially with wild yeast you just have to wait until it’s ready and be patient. But if you wait (and get the temperature hospitable), it will get there and hold together. Into the oven for 55 minutes at 400.


I’m inspired this week by two tigress in a pickle posts, so let’s make some fermented sriracha. This is a first for me, but I like fermenting things, and I like hot hot things, so a mix of hot red thai peppers and red jalapeños go in a bowl with garlic and salt to develop some more of that wild yeast flavor this week.

The other post was for homemade tomato paste and sold me with the simple idea of using icecube trays to save the paste in tablespoon-sized quantities instead of the cans that always end up in my fridge half-full. We’re always looking for ways to bring the late summer taste of tomatoes with us through the winter, but no time for a big canning project in our tiny apartment this year, this seems (and smells like) a perfect compromise, turning nearly a gallon of tomato puree into a concentrated cup of paste to wait in our freezer.

The bread is out and cooling.

2 thoughts on “Sunday afternoon in the kitchen

  1. Looks like lots of fun with fermentation! I’m hoping to harness a few friendly microbes and get some sauerkraut started this week.

Comments are closed.